Chaos Reborn Needs Your Help
Chaos came out in 1985. I've never played it, and I doubt I could get it to work on my machine. Am I out of luck? Nope! X-Com and original Chaos creator Julian Gollop has taken it upon himself to reboot the ancient ZX Spectrum strategy game with the help of Kickstarter and Ken Levine to help pitch the idea.
"Chaos Reborn is game with nail-biting decisions and twists of fate. Every battle is different, every realm is unique, and there is always something new to discover."
"Based on my cult classic ZX Spectrum game 'Chaos', first published in 1985 by Games Workshop, Chaos Reborn is part sequel, part re-imagining of that original game brought up-to-date with high quality presentation. "
"At the core of Chaos Reborn is the battle between wizards, fought in an arena with a limited selection of spells. The last wizard standing is declared the victor. Features include:
• Quick playing, turn-based combat. Battles typically last 10-30 minutes.
• 80 unique spells, including 24 creatures - from dragons to goblins - fully animated in the 3D Unity Engine.
• Classic spells from the original Chaos - including the Gooey Blob, Raise Dead, and Magic Wood.
• Bluff and deception - summon creatures as illusions for 100% success, and use Disbelieve spell on suspected enemy illusions.
• Manipulate the balance of the Cosmos between Law and Chaos to your advantage.
• Procedurally generated 3D battle arenas with various types of terrain, and different levels of elevation.
• Multiple game modes, including Classic Chaos mode - fully random battle set-up with random selection of spells. "
Old school arena fighting game brought back nearly 30 years later with a completely reworked...well, everything. Including a full strategy RPG to play through on your own and more depth than the original Chaos could ever hope to have sounds like a pretty good time to me.